TrailerShopper.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Info about this section

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrailerShopper.com Forum Index -> Fraud Scams & Scammer E-mails
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TS-Derek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Info about this section Reply with quote

I've created this section so that anyone who has been contacted by an obvious scammer can post details about the scammer. Post any names they use as well as email addresses.

Please post either the email address or the scammer's alias or both if you have them in the title of any threads in this section. This will make it easier for other ad owners to scan the titles quickly.

If you're an ad owner at TrailerShopper.com, please check this section if you receive a suspicious reply to your ad. It's next to impossible to stop them from replying to ads, but hopefully if we all help each other by exposing the scammers they'll be less likely to harass someone.

I sent out a newsletter a couple of months ago informing TrailerShopper.com members about the scams. I'm reposting the newsletter content below:

This is a quick note to bring to your attention, the recent flurry of scammer activity. I've received several reports lately about replies to ads that seem like scams. After reviewing some of the replies, they were obviously sent by scammers. The type scam that the scammers are employing is commonly referred to as the "419 scam" or "Nigerian 419" scam due to the mostly Nigerian origination of the emails. Below you'll find a copy & paste of the email that has circulated this weekend. If you have received a similar reply to your ad, please disregard it: BEGIN COPY & PASTE SCAM EMAIL --------------------------------------------------------------------- Name : valentino Phone : 521-764-5677 Message : Goodday , I saw your advertisement on the internet selling your (ed. TITLE OF AD) )which price is (ed. $PRICE),so i would like to let you know that i am highly interested in purchasing it from you .But first,i would like to know its current condition so i want you to email its current picture if its available. Due to the fact that i am out of town for now i will instruct an indebted client of mine in Uk who is owing me some money to send a cashier's check to you on my behalf,but the amount he's owing me is much more than what am paying you which is $3,800.00. So,whenever you receive the payment you will deduct the money for your (item)and transfer the remaining balance to the shipping company through money transfer who will be responsible for the picking up in your location without giving you anymore trouble. So,if my terms of payment is acceptable to you,do email me back with your full name and your home address so that i can order him to make out the us cashier check in that name,also send your e-mail address and your phone number for easier communication.expecting to hear from u soon. --------------------------------------------------------------------- END COPY & PASTE SCAM EMAIL Since we're on the subject of the 419 scam, at first glance, the scam in the email above seems easy enough to spot. However, a lot of people around the world have been bitten by this scam. Now that you've seen an example of the email, it will be easy to spot. Remember the old adage, "if it seems to good to be true..." For more information on the scam and its variations, I've provided a couple of links below: http://www.419eater.com/html/419faq.htm http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=419+scam

Thanks,
Derek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: THANKS Reply with quote

Thank you for this section!! I have aready put it good use weeding out some the scammers that are listed here.

Thanks again!!
Steven
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TrailerShopper.com Forum Index -> Fraud Scams & Scammer E-mails All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: